Entebbe International Airport : Entebbe international airport is the only international airport in Uganda and it is located on the shores of Lake Victoria of Lake Victoria close to Entebbe Town. This airport stands at an elevation of 1,153 meters above the sea level. Entebbe International Airport is situated approximately 41 kilometers in the south-west if Kampala city.
Entebbe international airport was opened up by the British colonial authorities and in 1936, it was being used a hub for the imperial airways but later it was officially opened up again after expanding its facilities and this took place in the year of 1951. It is also under the management and being operated by the Uganda civil Authority. This airport is capable to handle a population of over 1,840,264 passengers who would love to use the airport and the airports run away is 3,658 meters long which can also handle a reasonable number of aircrafts whether large, medium and small. However, Entebbe international airport is undergoing a renovation process, which is expected to be complete in 2035.
The Entebbe international airport is famous for serving as a Uganda airlines and a hub for Eagle Airlines, which are considered as the country’s main airline carriers. Among these, the Eagle air is the best to use because it operates regional schedules services and charter flights across central and East Africa using its second hub, which is located in the northern part of the country at Arua Airport. Entebbe international airport featured in the popular Hollywood movie which is known as “Seven days in Entebbe” which describes how the the hijacking event took place at the airport in 1976 where Air France flight 139 was hijacked by the Arab-German terrorists. However, during the successful rescue operation, a team of the Israeli militants within their power they managed to save a number of hostages.
The beautiful scenery at the airport always welcomes all travelers who arrive from Entebbe International Airport immediately as you land because it is situated on the shores of Lake Victoria thereby providing visitors with beautiful classic views of the lake and its surroundings. More so, travelers can also capture a clear view of the airports run away, birds, and Entebbe town, which is neighbouring with the airport.
Facilities offered at Entebbe International Airport.
Visitors as soon they arrive at Entebbe International Airport they are being offered with a number of different and good services such as; forex bureau where they can be able to change their money, duty free shops, banks, fully functional and automatic teller machines, restaurants and many more.
What is required when entering Entebbe International Airport?
In order for individuals to be granted access to enter Entebbe International Airport in Uganda, they are required to have the following;
- Travelers are required to present their passports, which must be at least 6 months valid.
- Visitors also must have a valid tourist visa which can be acquired at a cost of 50 USD person and it is valid for 30 days or they can opt to apply for an East African Tourist Visa which is charged at a fee of 100 USD per person and must be valid for 90 days and its advantage is that it will grant you multiple entries into countries like; Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya.
- Travelers are also asked to represent their yellow fever cards before they are granted access to enter into the airport.
- The Medical insurance whereby the travelers are encouraged to take note that their medical insurance plans provides coverage overseas.
Passenger Airlines that serve with Entebbe International Airport.
There are a plenty number of passenger airlines that operate their scheduled flights and these include; Uganda Airlines, Aero link Uganda, Air Tanzania, Air link, Egypt air, Fly-sax, Turkish airlines, KLM, Kenya airways, Qatar airways, Rwanda air, Jambojet, Ethiopian airlines, Fly Dubai, Brussels Airlines, Eagle Air, Precious Air and Emirates among others.
Requirements needed before booking a flight to Uganda.
- Travelers who are planning to book their flights to Uganda are advised to use Eagle air or you can opt to use Areolink as your domestic flight options.
- Aerolink Uganda schedules flights to different destinations such as; Chobe, Kasese, Masai Mara in Kenya, Kidepo valley national park, Kihihi, Pakuba, Mweya, Kisoro, Semiliki, Kisumu, and Bugungu.
- Eagle air schedules its flights to many areas like; Pakuba in Murchison falls national park, Apoka, Kasese district, Ishasha, Kisoro district, Semiliki National Park, Soroti district, Arua, Yei district and Mweya which is situated in Queen Elizabeth National Park in Uganda.
- KLM also has inbound flights from Amsterdam to Entebbe International airport which also is able to make stopovers in Kigali. However, it is advisable for travelers to check with their travel agents in case they wish to board straight to Entebbe airport.
- Travelers who opt to use the Turkish airlines can board inbound flights from Istanbul, which is found in Turkey, which makes stopovers in Rwanda at Kigali international airport.
- Brussels Airlines also have flights from Brussels to Entebbe airport making stopovers at Kigali airport in Rwanda.
At Entebbe International Airport there are a plenty of transport means that travelers can use as soon as they arrive for example; visitors can choose to hire airport taxis that are always stationed outside the arrival terminals of the airport which help to transport them direct to the hotels where they are going to stay whether around Entebbe of in Kampala city. These visitors using the taxis as their transport means need not to worry about being cheated while paying the tax fare because these taxis have fully operating meters.
In conclusion, do contact our trusted tour operators and companies such as Achieve Global Safaris or Explore Tours Rwanda for any inquires and book with us your Uganda safari tour for the best deals and offers as you get to have a memorable experience in Uganda the “THE PEARL OF AFRICA”.