Essentials for gorilla trekking are a list of important items that one should not miss out on packing because they help you g through the activity slowly. Gorilla trekking is one of the best warm activities done in the world and can be carried out in 3 protected national parks that include Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Before packing your essentials for gorilla trekking, you need to first pay for your gorilla trekking permits in Uganda, accommodation, and transport.
When you have sorted out the required details, the next step is to make sure that you pack the required gorilla trekking essentials for your gorilla tours. Gorilla trekking essentials are the same for Bwindi impenetrable national park, Mgahinga gorilla national park of Uganda, Virunga national park of Congo as well as volcanoes national park and if your visiting for gorilla tours combined with wildlife tours you might need more.
Essentials For Gorilla Trekking
- Rain Jacket: It is good to consider a rain jacket for your gorilla trekking tours because where gorillas inhabit, the place is too cold and that’s why it is called the montane rain forest of Bwindi impenetrable national park. Within this region, it receives rain throughout the year. You cannot guess when it will train, all you need to do is to carry your rain jacket in order to protect you from the rain.
- Cameras with full batteries: In the nature habitant for gorilla’s photography is very important and amazing as your taking pictures of these great apes, vegetation, different tree species all you need to do is to pack your camera with enough batteries as you will need to take as many photographs as you can but just in one hour provided.
- Hiking gumboots: Are One of the suitable gorilla trekking essentials you shouldn’t miss to pack for your gorilla trekking tours are the hiking boots. Because of the forest trailhead some time they seem to be slippery, terrain, what you need to do is to carry your hiking boots for these emotional activities so that you can enjoy it. Hiking boots can ease your gorilla trekking tours as you move through Bwindi Impenetrable national park, Volcanoes national park in Rwanda and Virunga national park in Congo.
- Long sleeved Blouse, shirts, and trousers: The forests are thick and plants and insects could harm you, therefore, it requires you to have long sleeved trousers, blouse, shirts for your gorilla trekking activity.
- Sunglasses and hat: During peak season sunglasses helps to cool off the much sunshine and a hat to protect you from too much sun rays.
- Energy giving snack: Gorilla trekking can take from 30 minutes to 8 hours that’s why we advise you to carry energy giving snacks to maintain your level of fitness as your walking through forest trailhead to relocate to gorillas. And before leaving where you slept, you need to carry your packed lunch, mineral water bottle because you may end up spending the whole day with gorillas in the mist. When you forget to carry the energy giving food from your home country, there is the possibility of buying them in Uganda or Rwanda or Congo what you need to do is to ask your tour operator or guide to direct you or take you to the nearby supermarket.
- Hand gloves: Hand gloves help to protect you from touching onto some itching plants which may damage your hand and also they help to prevent you from germs and other sharp items which may scratch your hands. As your packing your essentials also consider the hand gloves.
- Pair of Binoculars: To view everything clearly on your tour you need a pair of Binoculars like in Bwindi impenetrable national park a home primate such as black and white colobus monkeys, chimpanzees, 350 birds such African harrier hawk, Crowned hornbill, Giant kingfisher, Cinnamon-chested bee-eater, forest elephants, buffaloes and many more. During your trek of mountain gorillas, you will have an opportunity to spot out other species and the best way of viewing them well is by use of binocular.
- Porters for your gorilla trek: This is an optional item but we advise our visitors to always go with a porter because you never know you might get tired of carrying your luggage since gorilla trekking is done on foot in nature forest. To note porters, go for a fee and remember that they are still school going students, some on their vacation and by paying some amount of money to have a porter it contributes a lot to the community development.
- First aid kit: Carrying your first aid kit it means a lot to your life because it contains all prescription medicines such as antiseptic cream, cold medication, anti-malaria drugs, anti-diarrhea drugs, allergy remedy, pain killers, bandages and liniment for muscle strain that you might get due to mountain climbing or hiking.
- Insect repellent: Since gorilla trekking is carried out in nature forest which are inhabit various species, you never know you might get rid of the safari ants or mosquitoes.
- Toiletries: As your packing your essentials do not forget to pack toilet papers though lodges do provide them to the client to be on safe side you include it, you should carry your toothpaste because most lodges do not provide toothpaste to client as well as toothbrush, sanitary pads for women, detergents, shavers, shampoos, lodge provide towels to visitors but to those who want to use their personal towels they carry, hair condition, wipes, deodorants and many more.
- A pair of cotton socks: The pair of socking must be long enough to prevent you from safari ants to enter into your trousers because even you’re going for gorilla trekking the ranger will first ask you to tuck your trousers into the stockings.
- A valid passport and Visas: These are the most important document that acquires you to have gorilla permits and could be the first document to be packed.
- A waterproof Day pack: This item helps a visitor to carry his or her camera, a document like gorilla permits, binoculars and packed lunch, mineral water bottles or snacks.