3 Days Mount Sabinyo Hike
3 Days Mount Sabinyo Hike: This 3 Days Mount Sabinyo hike in Mgahinga national park tour takes you the far South Western part of Uganda close to the Uganda-Rwanda border and Uganda-Congo border. Mgahinga national park is located in the Virunga Mountains adjoining with the Volcanoes national park in Rwanda and Virunga national park in the Democratic Republic of Congo where we find the mountain Gorillas and the Golden monkeys hence its described as a place where “Gold meets Silver”. In Mgahinga national park is covers three of the Virunga Mountains including Mount Sabinyo, Mount Muhavura and Mount Gahinga and these mountains can be climbed from Uganda. Mount Sabinyo is the oldest volcano with a summit of 3,669 meters marking an intersection of Uganda, Rwanda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo borders. The name “Sabinyo” means “an old man’s teeth” and this was because its serrated summit resembles worn out teeth in a gum line.
This trip starts and ends in Kampala which is a long day taking about is 8-9 hours’ on the road however this drive is adventurous. If you do not want to spend a lot of time on the drive, you may choose to fly to Kisoro airstrip in Kisoro town which is the closest to the park. Flying to Kisoro airstrip takes 2 hours and from Kisoro to Mgahinga national park, is about 40 minutes’ drive. Alternatively, you can choose to start and end in Kigali – Rwanda because the park is closer from Kigali as compared to Kampala. This is about taking about 4-5 hours driving through the rolling hills of Rwanda and Uganda. Booking the 4 days Mgahinga national park tour now and have a lifetime primates’ experience.
Highlights of the safari
- Day 1: Transfer to Mgahinga national park
- Day 2: Hike Mount Sabinyo
- Day 3: Return to Kampala
Day 1: Transfer to Mgahinga national park
- Transfer to Mgahinga national park: Depending on your location in Kampala/Entebbe, you will be met by our company representative who will also be your safari guide throughout the tour. He will introduce and brief you about the whole itinerary before you embark on your journey to Mgahinga national park located in Kisoro district in the far south west of Uganda close to the Rwanda and Congo borders. Since it is quite a long drive, you will enjoy en-route stops at the Equator and in Mbarara town which is the largest and urban town in the western part of Uganda for lunch and refreshments. On reaching, Kisoro town in the evening, proceed to your accommodation. Check-in, refresh as you wait for dinner and overnight rest.
- Luxury option: Gahinga lodge/Lake Mutanda Resort
- Mid-range option: Lake Mulehe Safari lodge
- Budget option: Travellers’ Rest Hotel/Muchi Lodge
Day 2: Hike Mount Sabinyo
- Hike Mount Sabinyo: Wake up early, have early breakfast and transfer to the Mgahinga national park head office and report for a briefing from the park officials about your hike. Thereafter set off with your guides to embark on the climb. Mount Sabinyo is surrounded by a lot of forests giving great views of different bird species known as the Albertine birds only found in this area such as the rare Rwenzori Turaco. During your hike, you may get an opportunity to spot the mountain gorillas and the golden monkeys if it’s your lucky day. Upon reaching at the top, you will be rewarded crater lakes at the top and you will also be able to view all the 3 countries of Virunga Mountains including Uganda, Rwanda, and Congo. It takes 8 hours of climbing and descending from Mount Sabinyo. Upon return, meet your guide waiting to return you to your lodge to retire from the tiring day. Dinner and overnight stay at lodge as above.
Day 3: Return to Kampala
- Return to Kampala: Wake up early, have breakfast, check-out of the lodge and embark on your journey back to Kampala. It’s the same driving time of 8-9 hours from Kampala to Kisoro and back. It’s a long drive but very rewarding with spectacular views of the rolling hills and several communities of that region. Have en-route lunch in Mbarara town and another stop at the Equator. Your safari guide will drop you off at a location you advise or if you have a flight, you will be dropped off at Entebbe airport for your onward flight back home.
End of Safari